Sunday, April 18, 2010

Thanks Mom!

So I finally downloaded the Skype application for my iPhone, added minutes and called home (eat that AT&T international plan!). I talked to my dad for a bit, about making the best of the situation and then he put my mother on the phone.

"As I said to the family, it could be worse - Alyssa could be stuck here with me! 'Why didn't I get a trip? I wish I was on a trip. Why can't I go anywhere? When can I leave for Germany???'"

Thanks Mom. Love you too.

For those of you who know me well know just how psychotic I can get when it comes to work. I was excited to get this trip Tuesday night, so I wouldn't have to worry about scheduling Wednesday. And in all honesty, there is nothing in the above quote that isn't true. It does stink that I had to cancel my first week of German classes; I'm still scheduled to go for the last three until May 15. I'm also scheduled to leave Shannon on Tuesday. We'll see how that one goes.

It's nice being here in Ireland with other crew members who want to go home, be with their families, and take care of personal matters and projects; we are all in this together. I'm so thankful that I don't have any strings holding me to the states: no boyfriend, no husband, no kids, no bills, no house, and parents, who love me a lot, to take care of everything else.

The company has offered to buy us dinner tonight, which is nice. It's also 60 and sunny outside which for Ireland is even better. Tonight is also laundry night, as I have been wearing these jeans since Geneva and am down to one pair of underpants. We're going on the big tour tomorrow of touristy things; I'm excited for that. I told the crew that we can't come home after having been here for days on end and have our only activities be Indian and Thai curry, Guinness, and dancing into the wee small hours of the morn (80's night, Nancy Blakes, and that pub with the kid with braces). Besides, Mom said she'd pick up the tab for anything I couldn't afford ;)

No comments: