Monday, June 25, 2007

Hell? Four Letters = Four Days

I just finished up the four day trip from hell. Well, I mean, it wasn't that bad. But not that good either. The captain was okay, FO was sort of boring. Aft galley flight attendant was awesome; she was Japanese and this was her dream job. When people are living their dreams, they're a bit more pleasant to work with. Now, the first class flight attendant was an ice queen. I kept wondering if I did something to offend her, or if that was her general disposition; yet to be determined.

Our first day was a Tampa turn, and a Raleigh leg. Our load was okay, slightly cat lady-ish and kept talking about her sweetheart. I thought that was cute. On our way back from Tampa, I had one of the Brothers on my flight! For those of you unfamiliar with Catholicism, brothers are the male equivalent of nuns or sisters. At Rutgers, we had a sect called the Brotherhood of Hope that was a part of our campus ministry and some other school in Florida (University of? FL State? I have no idea). I had Brother Ted sitting in an aisle seat on his way to Rutgers to see all my cool Brother friends. I was honored to serve him.

Day two was to Minneapolis/St. Paul. I was in neither of those cities; we stay in Bloomington across from the Mall of America. Now, I like malls and enjoy shopping but this was too much. Too big to actually enjoy, or to find whatever store you're looking for. I also found the indoor water park creepy and dirty. It didn't smell like pool in the mall, but the thought of water rides inside makes my stomach crawl.

Day three to LAX. I was excited. Our load going out there was awesome. I love people who come to work to do their job the right way. It was an easy crowd since we left out of Houston, and flight time was only 2 hr 57 min. I also had my first celebrity! Only I didn't know who she was, so I'm not 100% sure it counts. Apparently, she's married to one of the members of Bone Thugs and Harmony (Bone Thugs 'N' Harmony? Am I too white for this?) and is in the process of recording and releasing an album due out later this summer. Her name is Felicia, and she gave the two flight attendants who knew who she was back stage passes to her concert Saturday night in Anaheim. This was the first time I saw the first class f/a crack a smile and laugh out loud on the plane. I'm not sure if it was the excitement of someone famous, or the load f/a that was her classmate. Pleasant change, that's for sure!

Our hotel has the new sleep number beds, and I would not recommend it. I think Sheratons/Westins and Marriotts have nicer beds (Marriotts are my favorite thus far). I did, however, think it was creative advertising. I hope the memory foam people hop on this particular band wagon because I would like to try their product, risk free, and get paid to do so.

The return flight was not good. Our load brought her personal baggage with her, and was acting like she'd never done transcon service before. I think if you're going to come to work, then be ready and know what you're responsible for. I've been flying for three months, and I do my homework before hand, so when I show up on the plane I'm ready. I ask questions when I'm not sure and I get the job done the right way. At times, its hard when you are new because I don't want to tell people who've been flying longer than I've been alive what to do; moreover, they should know. Definitely one of my flight attendant pet peeves. That, and when people hand me their random trash when I'm not holding a bag to put it in. Or when they hand me diapers when I do have a trash bag. Do you throw away your baby's diapers in your kitchen at home? Didn't think so.

Yesterday was an interesting day in aviation because there were two bomb scares: both LAX and EWR (of course where I came from and was going to). Sort of scary, simply because you just don't know. Personally, I think to go the aviation route again is just plain unimaginative. But now its just nice to be home, and to be off (hopefully) for the rest of the week. Gonna go down the shore, to Philly for lunch with Hil, see my friends and sleep in my own (not sleep number) bed!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Marriott beds are memory foam, btw.