Friday, November 7, 2008

Lord, I Was Born a Traveling Man

I spend a lot of time listening to music on my commute to and from the airport, which is roughly an hour and half. On my way home from my last trip (Oslo! it was amazing, I must go back), I was listening to one of my all time favorite albums and it finally dawned on me why I loved it so much. The album, entitled Something To Write Home About by The Get Up Kids, is all about leaving. Leaving is my favorite thing to do, especially when you get to come back. Its exciting to leave your house and go to Europe for the weekend or fly across the country for a date; there's also a certain excitement in returning home. The greatest songs, love or otherwise, are all about it: the glorious adventures and dreams of leaving and sorrows and desires of having to leave or wishing to be home.

"Everyplace around the world... we're coming to America!"
Neil Diamond

"Hold me like you'll never let me go, cause I'm leaving on a jet plane"
John Denver

"If I leave here tomorrow, would you still remember me?"
Lynard Skynard

"Big old jet airliner don't carry me too far away cause its here that I got to stay"
Steve Miller Band

"Come tomorrow I'll be on my way back home"
Get Up Kids

"She says Idaho is calling you home"
The New Amsterdams

"The hardest part has yet to come, when you will cross the country alone"
Death Cab For Cutie

"You can forget all your troubles forget all your cares and go downtown"
Petula Clark

"Come fly with me, lets fly lets fly away"
Frank Sinatra

"Please come to Boston for the springtime"
Dave Loggins (this one totally came from Mom... its circa 1974)

"Another aeroplane, another sunny place, I'm lucky I know, but I wanna go home"
Michael Buble

No comments: