Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Buying Bread From a Man in Brussels

I went on call Friday; having failed to successfully pick anything up, I was assigned Brussels on Saturday. I was feeling rather shitty all week, but took a crap ton of airborne, vitamin C and "non-aspirin" (thank you AS!) and kept on trucking. I was senior opted out of my position, so I had to work BusinessFirst aisle instead of partying in economy, which I haven't done since August. I like the Brussels trip because you get in so early, and was asleep by 9. I was rudely awoken around two by the maid service outside my door. At this point it dawned on me that I could only see out of one eye and that the other was all crusted over - pink eye! This is the second time that I've woken up on a layover with pink eye like symptoms. I spent the rest of my day lounging, I went to the gym for the first time since I was domestic. I didn't make it to my favorite kebab place - the Sultan of Kebab across the street. I figured it would be healthier to have my ham sandwich, and I couldn't bear the thought of having to go outside. I caught another hour of Ewan McGregor's Long Way Down on BBC1 which is almost as exciting as Holly Oaks. I finally fell asleep at midnight and woke up promptly at three am. I tossed and turned for the rest of the night and just as I was beginning to get my body's natural shot of melatonin, it was time for the wake up call. Got ready, went downstairs for chocolate croissants, and found out that our aircraft was being downgraded - meaning two of us were going to have to deadhead home! We get on the wee plane, and the ISM makes it all the way to the second most junior person on the trip - and he choses to deadhead! I told him it was his right as he was senior to me, but I was sad. I wanted to sleep for another 8 hours and not feel like ass crap anymore. Instead, I get to sit at home for the next two days on ready reserve trying to fight this hacking cough and now double pink eye. Heaven forbid I get pink eye and not somehow manage to get it in the other eye too... but hey! It could always be worse - and what goes around comes around bitches!

No comments: