Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Flying First Class...

Monday morning, 11 am. I'm sitting on my couch drinking my morning coffee, having woken up about ten minutes ago. It was nice, quiet and peaceful way to start the day. And then crew scheduling called.

"Hi, flight attendant Alyssa? We have a trip for you. It checks in at 2; its an LA overnight."

Well, at least it wasn't a quick call. I had two hours to get ready and make plans upon my arrival.

So, I get to the airport, I get on the plane and then I get senior opted. (In land of pilots, its refered to as being junior man-ed.) I was supposed to work the lead position, but ended up in first class aisle. First class aisle is a good position for me because I have a fear of the galley. Being in the aisle gives me the opportunity to learn the service better, figure out what's expected and see all the different ways that the galley person operates. No two flight attendants work the galley the same, you know, like snow flakes. This trip was especially nice because we were on the 757, which is my favorite (okay fine, JNH you convinced me, it is the best even though it still totally has that smell), and I didn't have to deal with the snobby people in the back of the bus who thought they were someone important; I only had 20 snobby people to deal with as opposed to 140. There were like 16 seat dups, all these kids sitting aisles away from their parents... That's my personal favorite. People who won't move to let kids sit with their parents. I hope you enjoy entertaining them for the next 5 and a half hours.

Here at my legacy carrier (which if you haven't figured out which one yet, then you know nothing about avaition. At all.) we collected and hang up coats in first class. I am embarking on my first winter as a flight attendant, therefore my first coat fire. Instead of taking their seats and allowing me to wait on them (key word is so wait) the first class cabin was experiencing a coat fire in which they stood in line at the mid galley, coats in hand, waiting to give them to me. How am I supposed to correctly label the coat tag if I have no idea where you are seated? And when I ask you were are you seated, don't tell me up there. That's not funny. Interesting enough, we totally had another coat fire on the way back.

As for the service going out, the number of people who eat airplane fish astound me. Along with the number of flight attendants I know who have gotten food poisioning from said fish, especially in apetizer and soup form. I had the veal and veggies. Working a flight to the west coast is almost as exciting as non reving, execpt you have things to do the first hour, maybe two. Otherwise we're sitting there just like you are, minus the movies.

The return flight was definitely most interesting. The galley person and I both got no sleep and even though it was just breakfast service, it was a hot mess. Like to the point where you would have thought that we were new. I still feel new - even though I'm off probation!!! Anyway, it was a good two day and I had a great crew which is all that ever matters.

No comments: