Friday, April 4, 2014

Lake Titicaca

As I'm drafting this, we're cursing the reasonably calm fresh waters of Lake Titicaca. We got into Puno last night, and had dinner at what I've deemed Not the Nandos. On the menu was a quarter roasted chicken with chips. Granted Nandos may have better chips but it is all about the chicken. So well seasoned and succulent, and about 15 soles, which is like 6 or 7 US$.

The altitude is currently kicking my ass. I'm on whatever prescription medication (which is also available over the counter here), and last night I had a few hits of oxygen at the hotel. I took an Advil PM to help get to and stay asleep which really helped. My extremities keep getting the tingles (like pins and needles) and as long as I have enough water, no headache. Huffing and puffing like an old lady just to get up the one flight of stairs to my room. We've been at altitude for days now and I just can't seem to adjust.

We stopped on the floating islands of Urus first. The tour guide kept talking about how happy the peoples of the islands are (the island we were on was home to about 20 people, 4 families; 2000 island ppl in total). They sang and shared their way of life with us - so simple. So beautiful.

After a two hour boat ride we docked on the island of Taguile. The view was so stunning, so incredible, I can't even begin to describe it. We hiked up to meet some of the locals to watch the men knit and women weave. They fed us the most delicious lunch - each meal I've had has been better than the one before. Then we hiked back down the island to the beach to go swimming. The water was effing freezing! But I did stick my toes in and prance around chanting "I'm in Lake Titicaca!" in true Alyssa style.

I'm looking forward to a hot shower, some dinner (yes! more local cuisine please!), and tomorrow is another full day on the bus to Cusco.

OH! And I'm listening to either the Backstreet Boys or N'Snyc (possibly This I Promise You) in Spanish on the boat while the sun is setting. I think this equals romance.

Via iPhone

No comments: