Sunday, May 25, 2008

Bitch, I don't know your life!

Lately, I have encountered many a flight attendant nay-sayer. Why did you choose such a career? Wouldn't you rather do something else? How can you live on such poverty wages?

First of all, this isn't a career. Its a job that comes with the most fantastic lifestyle. The only other people I know with a similar work schedule are famous people: athletes, actors, and rock stars. I think nurses and teachers have the second best schedules with three days a week/summers off respectively. Any one else who has a real job only has weekends off and normal people have to save their pennies to be able to afford going to Europe once let alone six times a month. And if you believe that life is about the money, then I'm not so sure I even want to be talking to you. Money isn't nearly as important as true happiness.

On the flip side, to all of you out there who are considering leaving your lives and homes to come join the fantastical adventures of pouring cokes, my advice is to have a back up plan. I have a degree from Rutgers, meaning if things don't go well in the industry (which they aren't as I'm sure you are all aware) I have marketable skills other than "coke pourer". When I'm at work and the rumor mill is running rampant with stories of furloughs and cutting back flights I don't worry about job security because I choose to do this. And for all you "youngins" out there, I encourage you to be well learned before coming to pour cokes. At 18, 19 years old only the regional airlines are available to you; at 21, majors are fair game. Two different types of flying with different corporate cultures; it is important to do your market research and choose an airline that fits you. But hey, its whatever cause... Bitch! I don't know your life!

(Go see Baby Mama - you'll find that more humorous)

No comments: